Monday, January 31, 2011

Pattern Sorting Day

After spending a huge amount of time hunting a pattern, I decided to sort all my patterns this week. I can't believe how poorly I have taken care of them....my mother would be ashamed if she knew (don't tell her).  I was very excited to find some really cool vintage patterns..which led me to another idea. I am going to make notebooks of the different eras out of the patterns. Maybe if I put them in clear sleeves and put them in a notebook I can take better care of them and it would help with research when I am doing a show. Here are some of the pictures of the vintage patterns....

             


These are patterns from the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's.  These are just a small few of what I have and now I want to find them all and organize them. I think this is interesting to not only see what the style was but how much they cost. A pattern today cost at the minimum $12.00 if you pay full price. It's really such a scam to me because the pattern companies have raised the prices so high because chain stores sell them for half off. It is a sore spot with me because we are a small fabric store and the chain store sells the patterns for what we pay for them. I truly believe that is what will eventually put all pattern companies out of business. Chain fabric stores and discount stores have changed the sewing industry and not in a good way.

I have used so many of the vintage patterns that mother has in her collection. It's cool to me that I am using patterns that my mother used for my clothes in the 1960s. You can't tell a lot about it but this is a picture of my daughter in a dress made from a vintage pattern. It is made out of vinyl and that was hard to sew but she was cute in it.  I must get back to my pattern sorting..goodnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment